Radcliffe Camera is a neo-classical building inside Oxford University, built from 1737 to 1749 for the Radcliffe Science Library by James Gibbs. Radcliffe Camera is considered one of the finest examples of the architectural style in England. Its location is between the Old Bodleian College to the south, St Mary’s Church to the north, and All Souls College to the east.
With its circular shape, its central location, and its separation from other buildings, the Radcliffe Camera is almost always included in shorthand visual representations of Oxford University.
Construction and maintenance of the library were financed by the estate of John Radcliffe, a physician who died in 1714 leaving £40,000. The exterior was complete in 1747 and the interior finished by 1748. The library opened its doors on 13 April 1749.