Oxford University Parks (or University Parks, or The Parks) is a large park area northeast of the city. The park is open to the public during the day and has gardens, large sports fields, and several exotic plants.
What's the History of Oxford University Parks?
The parks area had been used for recreation for a long time. The land originally belonged to Merton College, but in 1853/54 the Unversity purchased 20 acres (which eventually became 74) and laid out the parks in 1864. The work was supervised by William Baxter, who was later appointed their first superintendent.
Parts of the Oxford University Parks were designated to be used for sports and recreational purposes, and a portion of the land (4 acres) was set aside for the University Museum, today the Natural History Museum. The Parks has been the home ground of Oxford University Cricket Club since 1881.
How to Visit the Oxford University Parks
The parks are open during the day and anyone can visit them.
Address: S Parks Rd, Oxford OX1 3RF.
Hours: During the day, check times for your season’s visit.